The Chung Chi College Library was first established in 1951. The present library building was built with the generous support of the Henry Luce Foundation through the United Presbyterian Church in the United States of America and was officially dedicated on October 29, 1971 by Mr. Henry Luce’s sister, Mrs. Elisabeth Luce Moore, after whom the Library was named.
Its collections focus on music, religion, education, sports science, Japanese literature and language, performing arts and theatre. Holdings of music and religion are considered significant in Southeast Asia. The Instructional Materials Collection is a special collection of teaching materials for all secondary and primary schools’ subjects of Hong Kong, and most of them are local textbooks.
Circulation services and reference enquiries are offered at the counter on the G/F. Users may also return books to the book drop at the entrance of the Library. Collections of reference materials, general education books, new books, newspapers and microforms are housed on this floor. A Late Reading Room, with a separate entrance, provides a reading area for users after the Library closes. The bound journals are housed in the compact shelves on the LG/F. The 1/F and 2/F are areas with open stacks of books and current journals.
Users may choose from a variety of formal and informal seating on these floors. There are informal seating areas with casual chairs for informal study and leisure reading. Group study rooms with computers are provided for students to work or study together. Study carrels, arranged along the windows, and the Quiet Floor, designated on the 2/F, are specially designed for those who desire a quiet environment for their study.
In addition to computers with Online Catalogue installed on all floors, three Information Commons, where students can work on class assignments from start to finish, are located on the G/F, 1/F and 2/F. To facilitate the use of personal notebook computers, Wifi is also available throughout the building.