- Project Overview
- Refurbishment Projects - Second Floor (Summer 2019)
- Relocation of Current Collections
- Project Update
- Contact Us
Chung Chi College Elisabeth Luce Moore Library (CCL) is one of the busiest libraries on campus. Its convenient location close to the MTR and on the lower campus has resulted in just over half a million visits per year. This figure is very stable, not showing a decline despite the opening of the WMY Learning Commons and the Pommerenke Student Centre nearby in 2011.
The 2014 Library survey highlighted a level of dissatisfaction with current facilities at CCL. Specifically there was a demand for additional study space, computers and printing facilities. Given this challenging situation, the Library refurbished CCL ground floor during summer 2017 providing a new learning cluster with more study space, more computers and a new RFID self-issue and return service.
The existing CCL collections focus on education, sports science, religion, music, performing arts and theatre. All subject areas where print collection growth is still strong.
Following the successful G/F and 1/F renovations, the 2/F will be refurbished to include a purpose built Music Library in summer 2019. The 2/F will be renovated with the provision to house the significant music and audio visual collection of over 110,000 items. These items include the Pian collection, audio visual collections relocated from United College Library (UCL), and over 7,000 audio CDs previously held by the Music Department. Study areas, furniture and equipment will be upgraded and enhanced to support the university community’s research, teaching and learning requirements. With consultation and input from the Music Department academic staff, the Library is planning to build 2 sound proof listening rooms and to merge all the music and audio visual collections to meet the objective of a new specialized library within Chung Chi College Library (CCL).
Since September 2015, the following collection changes have been taken with the relocation of UCL’s Audio-Visual Collection to CCL:
- Relocating the Phonodisc Collection. With effect from 5 September 2015, the Phonodisc Collection has been relocated from UCL to CCL.
- Relocating the Audio CD Collection. With effect from 19 May 2016, the Audio CD Collection has been relocated from UCL to CCL.
- Relocating the Music LD Collection. With effect from 12 October 2016, the laser discs of the Music collection have been relocated from UCL to CCL.
In 2017, a total of 7,808 music CDs from the Department of Music were transferred to CCL.
To cater for the growth of the music and audio visual collections, the proposed renovation changes will include:
- Increased study and workstation space;
- Provision for a music corner;
- Addition of new compact shelving;
- Widening the walking passage to achieve better circulation;
- Reorganizing the collections and facilities to maximize the view;
- Inclusion of study clusters inside the shelving areas;
- Re-location of the study room (barrier free facilities and services) for better positioning.
In view of the coming summer 2019 refurbishment project,
- Current Instructional Materials Collection (Early Childhood, Primary, Secondary textbooks) will be moved from 2/F to LG/F;
- LG/F CCL Government Documents and Archive collections will be relocated;
- LG/F non-CCL class periodicals will relocate to Subject Oriented Libraries (SOL) in CUHK library.
Upon completion of the renovation project, the 2/F will house the entire music and audio visual collections in CCL, including the relocation of
- All music (M Class) and theatrical arts (PN Class) periodicals from LG/F;
- All music (M Class) and theatrical arts (PN Class) reference titles from G/F.
Tel: (852) 3943 6969